Monday, September 9, 2013

Day 1

Welcome to Day One of my journey, that hopefully will lead to a healthier me and a significant amount of money raised for research into Cystic Fibrosis. Today is officially Day One although the process really started at about 10:50 am on Sunday 8th September 2013 when I announced to the congregation at the Wangaratta salvation Army (somewhat spontaneously) that I was stating on this adventure. So I should be feeling on top of the world...Right... Well Not Yet !! I cant believe that after only 36 or so hours without Coca-Cola I am already experiencing shocking headaches. For someone who doesn't normally suffer from headaches this is not much fun. This has made me ask myself a couple of questions ; 1) If after such a short time my body is already looking for its fix, how much was I really drinking & 2) If this is having this effect so quickly this could not have been good for my system. So far in the last two days I have drunk just over 4 litres of Water, and amazingly I actually ate breakfast this morning. I am planning to get myself weighed officially tomorrow (I have to go to the Doctor's to get some more Blood Pressure Tablets), and also I will discuss this plan with the Doctor and get his advice & a quick check up. I am not planning to drop 5 or 6 kilograms a week, but I am really hoping to have gradual and sustainable weight loss over a couple of months. I hope if you are coming along with me that you enjoy the ride, and that I will stay fairly positive. I want this to not just help Cystic Fibrosis but help me be a better Husband,Father and Officer. I am happy to receive any advice/encouragement along the way.

6 comments:

  1. Hey darren as I said after service I'm willing to be a walking buddy and will encourage u all the way the withdrawal headaches may be bad now but just remember how great u will feel as u progress on ur journey our loving heavenly father will never give u a chellenge if he dosent think u could handle it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Darren, raw foods are the key!!!!! There are loads of meal plans via google. You will be amazed the difference it will make by eating breakfast. I started eating breakfast this time last year after 30 years of coffee as my start up meal. Have lost 10kgs over 12 mths. 5 meals a day with the evening meal being the smallest. Its the portion size that will make all the difference. I have also reduced blood pressure meds!!!!! Bonus all round. All the best will have you in my prayers , Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for meal ideas? Get hold of Michelle Bridges Crunchtime Cookbook. Its her program that has helped me lose weight and while in College. Learning to eat in a way that keeps you feeling satisfied and balanced is the way to go I reckon. To make a change you have to make a change and thats what you are doing! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Darren. It sounds to me as though you are doing this the right way. Making a lifestyle change not just going on a diet.
    It is tough and will get tougher but you have the support of not only your wife and kids but also your wider family and friends.
    Keep going my friend and if you need an ear of someone who is trying to do the same thing you can have one of mine.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Darren - not only to help the CF foundation but to move towards a healthy life for yourself. It's a brave move to put yourself out there as weight can be such a personal and deeply shameful issue for many who have stuggled to control their shape. Go well and I wish you all the best! M.D-K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff Daz.
    If you're walking and have some kind of smartphone - I highly recommend "RunKeeper". It's a great motivator, and a little encouraging community. Bless you!
    Have I missed how we actually go about supporting CF? Do I sponsor you per kilogram?! :)

    ReplyDelete